For this final 2D illustration I mostly have used watercolour paint. It was used for a background (by mixing pink and blue) and the insect bodies as well as the leafs and other details.
Since it was a mixed media exercise after all, I made up for just watercolours by using different materials that were applied to the picture. Apart from normal thin cardboard paper I have used a bumpy wallpaper for leafs, fake fur and the shiny thin material glued to a tracing paper cutouts as wings. I also used white gel pen for little details such as shine in the eye.
All the elements were cut separately and then glued onto the main background. since the fur was thick, I used thick cardboard behind the cutout bug bodies, which made them pop out evenly from the surface. For wings I tried to create the lines only by the use of PVA glue, but that didn't work the way I expected it to.
Effectiveness of Materials
I think the materials, especially watercolours were proven effective. The design and the final product was aimed at small children, so the watercolours provided me with gentle colours. I could have used ink to underline/bring attention to some of the parts, such as the tiny tails, or add the details I have forgot about: I forgot to add the dots on the each sector of their caterpillar body as well as the tiny long hands just below the head. I could also make the mouths more visible.
When it comes to wings (shiny material glued to the tracing paper), I wanted the glue to bring small lined details, just like in the material exploration task for all three designs. With the material on top it flattened and spread the glue, so the only visibly separated part is the middle section of the wing.
The wallpaper was extremely hard to colour, since it refused to absorb the watercolour paint, and I didn't want to use acrylics, because they would make the leafs too vivid and they were part of the background after all.
For the 'flat' textures (the ones you see but can't touch) I could have used pencils or chalk pastels, but I already was behind with the work.
Overall I think the picture is good, but not perfect, since it lacks details that could have been added.
