#1 - Papier Mache
Ready design:
Process:
To start with, I made a head. Majority of people chosen a body as the first piece, but my 'mini beast' is segmented, so the head is really the biggest piece I decided to scale my design upon. At this stage, it's just a ball of newspapers covered in a masking tape. For details I also placed antennas and mouth made out of wire.
I then began making segments trying to use an equal amount of newspapers so they'll be the same size, more or less. As the newspapers were stacked in layers, I found it hard to bend them further in order to get rid of the edges. They rather appeared as rectangles.
Once I had all the segments done, I made a hole in each for another piece of wire. Again, since there were so many layers and a thick layer of a tape, it made it extremely hard to pierce.
That's how it looked like when all the segments and a head were attached to the wire. I think the square shape made the structure stand steadily. At this point the 'tail' and the head weren't attached properly so they tended to fall off, but I couldn't find a better way to attach them: the wire's end was inside them.
Later I wrapped the entire sculpture in another piece of a newspaper and wrapped the rope between each segment to keep the shape. I also tried to rip the paper in-between on one side, but I think the segments were too bumpy.
After that I started to place the layer or papier mache on top - paper wet by a water-glue mixture. From this angle the bumps from torn pieces can be seen and they don't look as nice as the other side.
Once the papier mache dried off, I painted it with white acrylic paint. The final result can be seen above.
Once the papier mache dried off, I painted it with white acrylic paint. The final result can be seen above.
#2 - Wirework
Ready design:
[to be finished]
Process:
Once again I started with making a head.I used 3 oval shaped wires and in the places where there was wire left, I wrapped it around another piece, so they can merge together strongly.
I added some main details to the head like mouth (which is crooked because I made a mistake when measuring a wire and it was hard to 'rebend' it into a previous shape) and the 'collar'.
I then started to create rings for the body, the first one was measured in the relation to head and the rest was made by holding a new wire at the same time when holding a ready ring and bending it in the similar manner, so they ended up being more or less the similar size. Once all were completed, I joined them with another piece of wire leaving chunks of it for the sectors. I repeated that on the opposite side of the rings and two more.
I joined the body with the head and added antennas. Since it's hard to measure the wire at the same time when moving it around, the segments aren't the equal size and some bend in weird angles or are too close to each other.
I added more details, such as the sides, eyes, fur, legs and tail to the structure. I had to add a chestnut as a counterweight, otherwise the sculpture refused to stand on its own. It's because there is too much detail at the front, so its weight is heavier there.
I then added the rest of the fur and wings for a complete looks, but still no front hands, because that would be too much effort.
I then added the rest of the fur and wings for a complete looks, but still no front hands, because that would be too much effort.
#3 - (Airdry DAS) Clay
Ready design:
Process:
In this sample I started off with a body. That's because the clay is more joined and allowed me to add the impression of segments later. On the body I attached head with a matchstick stuck between them. Because the clay is messy, I didn't record most of the first part of the creation, but rather middle and the end. After the pose was made and I made sure the sculpture will stand (I had to put a bit more clay at the bottom of the 'standing' part, so it won't lean forward), I started to add details. I placed two eyes, again, attached with pieces of matchstick, mouth and I created rows giving a sense of segments and a border that separated the belly from the back.
Antennas were hard to do; in order to make sure they won't flop down, I rolled the clay on the matchsticks, but when doing so, I trapped the air inside them. I also added a tail, two dotty legs, dotted out the back to add sort of a texture and added fur. The fur was made by scratching the clay and tearing it randomly. At the end I added wings made out of wire.



























